Monday, November 2, 2009

Fair Weather Fans

One of my pet peeves is the fair weather fan. This person ignores a team all season long until they are close to a record, or a championship, then runs out to buy a jersey and tell everyone how his cousin's hairdresser's husband knew that one player in high school and beat him in mini golf.

I'm not the only one who feels this way; Penn State has had lackluster student attendance at football games this year. It's easy to see why (Akron, Temple, Syracuse, and Eastern Illinois all started at noon) but some people think that's no excuse. I was lucky enough to have season tickets for all four of my years at PSU and took advantage of them, even though I had to walk 10 miles in the snow uphill both ways and stand on flaming coals to watch the team have 3 losing seasons in 4 years.*

Which is why I am just that much more embarrassed to admit what I have been doing most nights for the past week: watching the Phillies in the World Series. I can count how many regular season games I watched on one hand and now I'm glued to the tv. But hey, it's my inalienable right as an American to be a hypocrite. So let's go Phils!




*Only one of those qualifiers is true; I'll let you guess which.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

im guessing "in the snow" is the only one that is true, even though that rarely happened either! ;)