Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Public Works of Art

When I'm stuck in traffic at rush hour, watching everyone frantically changing lanes so they can get on a different highway, it's hard to get excited thinking about who designed the highway. But after I read this article about different types of highway interchanges as viewed from above I was intrigued. I went on Google Maps and looked up some of the highways I have driven on and they are actually good looking! Here are two places I have driven quite a few times...try to guess what they are! I'll tell you the answers in a future post.

Hint: This one is in the Houston area.


Hint: This one is in the Philadelphia area.

Good luck!

4 comments:

nujoud said...

Not sure on the Houston one, but I'd guess 45 and beltway 8 somewhere. We have too many freeways around here. But since we are talking freeway interchanges and my dad is a bridge designer for WA DOT, here is one he designed. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=I-5,+Seattle,+King,+Washington&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=28.114729,58.535156&ie=UTF8&cd=2&geocode=Fdgi1wIdu4G1-A&split=0&ll=47.593546,-122.32064&spn=0.005832,0.014291&t=k&z=16

Unknown said...

i dont know h-town well enough, but i'd have to guess the PA one is the turnpike somewhere. they do look neat from above!

ACQ said...

It's so cool that your dad designed the bridge! Have you driven over it?

nujoud said...

Yes, of course, it's in the middle of Seattle and unavoidable really.