Monday, April 18, 2011

April Showers Bring...

...delicious vegetables! The Dude and I (and Erin and Nujoud) joined a CSA this year, and we are really enjoying it! For those who aren't familiar, joining a CSA basically means you buy a share in a farm's crops and get weekly vegetable deliveries. We have only had two deliveries so far but we are already loving the fresh salad greens, snap peas, and green onions. Part of the appeal of the CSA was also that we would get to try some foods we usually don't eat. This week we had two challenges: beets* and mustard greens. Both of us expected we wouldn't like beets at all; neither of us had tried mustard greens before. We tried both of them (as well as some squash) tonight and we were pleasantly surprised!



For those who are interested, both were easy to cook.
Beets: peel beets, slice, and marinate in a mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic salt, and pepper. Grill to taste.
Mustard greens: cut out stems and roughly chop the greens. Carmelize onions and garlic in olive oil over medium heat, then add greens, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Cook the greens until they wilt but not until they are mushy.

I still don't think beets are my favorite vegetable, or even in the top 5 (hey, I love a lot of vegetables) but I enjoyed them!

*Every time I hear beets I think about Dwight Schrute. Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica!

2 comments:

nujoud said...

I roasted the beets in a little EVOO (ugh, I just sounded like Rachel Ray) day we got em and then you can just slip them out of the jackets and use as desired. They are actually still in the fridge to be sliced for a salad tonight. Also the beet greens are edible, can be cooked same ways you would cook the mustard greens. I I expect to get more this week, so we have to share our ideas.

Jen @ New Shade of Green said...

Looks tasty! Beets are the ONE vegetable I do not like and will not eat. I have an involuntary gag reflex to canned beets (my mom used to love them). However I do like beet terra chips so idk maybe I'd like them roasted/grilled.